Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I'll just have to come back again

So if anyone has been following me on twitter or is friends with me on facebook then you probably know that because of the stupid volcanic eruption in Iceland my mom and grandma’s eagerly awaited visit had to be canceled. At the very least you could say that everyone was very disappointed since planning this visit has been in the works for months and I really wanted to show my mom and my grandma all of my favorite places and things here in Paris. Although I have come to the conclusion already that I simply have not had enough time here in France during this sejour. I have not had enough time to travel and not had enough time to perfect my French the way I want to, thus there is only one solution to this problem. I will have to come back and spend another significant amount of time here… in the near future, and then my mom and grandma will have to come visit me then!

My grandma says she is getting a bit old to travel that far, but I think any 79 year old woman who makes it her goal to ride at least 100 miles a week on her bike in the summer is in perfect condition to come and visit me in France sometime within the next five years, and my mom is just in her prime of retirement, and everyone here is very intrigued by our story and really wants to meet her. (By our story I mean the story of the donor insemination and raising twins and working two jobs on her own, all the things that make my mom the wonderful strong and fantastic woman she is… why wouldn’t everyone want to meet her?) But after several days of stressfully watching the news and compulsively reading the New York Times and BBC articles it became very clear that their trip was going to be cancelled, since the earliest flight they could get after that would be on the 27th of April, and my mom and Susan had to go back to work, and really just couldn’t work around the volcanic eruption. I would be lying if I didn’t say that tears were shed… tears of frustration and disappointment, and downright missing my mom. I may be 21 years old, but I still miss my mom, and I don’t think that is really all that strange.

But after the tears were shed, I realized that maybe it just wasn’t supposed to work out this time around, and the future is wide open for more opportunities for my family to be here together, and maybe Mirandy will be able to come too, and all of the Moberg women will be in France together, enjoying the city that I have come to know as my second home away from home (DePauw being my first) and travelling around this country that is so different in so many ways… and yet not all that different at all. So yes, trying to keep everything in perspective can be very trying at times, especially when I think of all the fun we were going to have, but it has not been cancelled, just postponed I am just sure of it! Plus I think my mom is spending next week on Seabrook Island with her friends, which might be second only to visiting me in Europe, so that will be great for her!

I am still planning on going to London next weekend, I will just have to stay with Annie (which I am of course looking forward to!) and find things for my family to do when they come to visit me in the future. And Matt's parents are coming to visit as well, and Mrs. Brauer promised me a really good mom hug... so that will be fun as well! Look forward to posts about London (and a few others before that) coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment