Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The first nice weekend!

Do not be misled by the title of this post... I have had many nice dare I say wonderful weekends here in Paris, but this past weekend was really the first weekend that the weather was really beautiful, and it was probably 75 degrees and sunny without a doubt! I was also lucky enough to be graced by the presence of my wonderful friend Annie Greene who is getting her masters degree in London currently, and she jumped across the channel (ok she took the Eurostar across the channel) and spent the weekend with me in Paris! There were lots of museums we could have gone to, lots of places we could have checked out (my list continues to get longer as my time gets shorter!) but we just couldnt bring ourselves to go inside! So on Saturday we went out to the Promenade Plantée which is a set of old train tracks that has been turned into a beautiful walk way with a garden on the end of it... and then we went from there to have a picnic on the bank of the river. Even then we could not go inside so we went to the Jardin des Plantes where we saw more wonderful things in bloom! I wanted to go to the menagerie too... but I think everyone in Paris under the age of 5 wanted to do the same thing (shows you a little bit about my mental state!) and the line was too long so we just enjoyed the garden.

Then we went off to find some gelato, and coffee in le quartier latin... and we explored all over. On Sunday once again not being able to stay indoors we went to the cemetary in Montparnasse and paid a little visit to people like Jean-Paul Sartre and his lover Simone de Beauvoir as well as to Emile Durkheim and Serge Gainsbourg. From there we went up to Montmartre, which was gorgeous, and enjoyed a late lunch before heading back to Saint-Mandé to cook dinner with Tati and enjoy good food and good wine! So here are the pictures from the weekend, at least my favorite pics... and you can have your mind be as boggled as mine about how it is almost impossible to believe that there is a cloud of ash floating 10km above the city preventing all planes from flying, and preventing my mom and grandma from coming to visit me. But more on that later...

It was a truly wonderful weekend!









No comments:

Post a Comment