Thursday, January 21, 2010

just a regular day

So I continue to be frustrated with my speaking abilities in french... and every part of the day takes a lot more effort sometimes... but I understand almost everything my professors say which is good...and very helpful. But it takes a lot more concentration than I am used to at school at home. For instance today my professor of practical french knowledge (who I was sure hated us today for like 10 minutes... but then I called him out which was funny and he got all flustered, I'll explain in a minute) said something along the lines of (in reference to elections) "il est elu chaque six ans" and I thought that he said "il est elu chaque saison." If you speak french at all you would understand that there is a rather subtle difference between the way these two phrases sound... the first meaning "he was elected every 6 years" and the other meaning "he was elected every season." It took me a while to understand what he was really saying, and I got frustrated with myself because I should have known better. But overall my listening comprehension is improving by leaps and bounds each day which is really great. Also I am learning about french history and french politics (and the difference between prices in French and American cigarettes... random, but there has been a ban on smoking in public places like cafes and stuff for 2 years which makes eating inside in a cafe much more pleasant!) The french are none too shy to talk about all the crap that has happened and how they are on their 5th republic since 1789 which is all very interesting to know. So if you have a question... ask, cause I probs know. Good lord.

But this afternoon, my prof who is kind of a prick (thomas, but not thomas roman) was describing elections in france. There are two different types and one which is direct and then they have a run off, and he was saying that the race would be between Mr. A and Mr. B and Mr. C and Mr. D and Mr. E, and I quickly pointed out that there could be a Mrs. in the mix. It was very funny to see this pretentious french prof/journalist get all confused and try to make up for his rather silly mistake... but he did smile and laugh and I felt kind of proud of myself for being able to make him smile, and to bring him down a notch or so to our levels. It was funny I promise, and not disrespectful (don't worry mom!) But that is something that is very different in France, which is that relationships between profs and students are much more formal and distanced. That has not been my experience at DPU at all (and I guess it could be like this at large universities in the USA it is hard to say) like that, and my profs are very interested in getting to know me personally, for the most part. But not here, so sometimes I have to try to turn down my personality a little bit... but don't worry I am doing fine and understanding a lot more.

The perfect example of my close relations with my professors at DPU is proven by the fact that in 2 weeks I am going to take a train and spend the weekend with Anne Harris and Mac and their three children in Bretange. I can't wait to see them, and their kids. They are my art history profs at DPU who are spending this semester in France and they want me to come visit. I can't wait for that!

A toute a l'heure!

1 comment:

  1. A tout bientôt, chère Hallie! Et félicitations pour tous tes efforts - you go, girl!

    ReplyDelete