Friday, January 15, 2010

A day of never have I evers



So, I have flown across the ocean, dragged two absurd suitcases, my back pack and a very shiny purse across Paris, flagged down five taxi’s (four of which were unable to pick me up… but I talked to all of the drivers… I speak French one thing is for sure) found the nicest taxi driver in the world who saved my very tired butt, and came into a lovely apartment. The point of that sentence simply is to say: I made it. The flights were fine, not a single hitch. Except our landing was really weird, it was so foggy that everyone thought we were still coming down through the clouds when in reality we were touching down on the ground. It was crazy.

Then I got hit on by the customs guy, found my suitcases, changed some money, and after already having been awake and traveling for almost 18 hours I set out on the across the city to venture to find 21bis rue de l’aoutte. It turned out to be one the most taxing three hours of my life… I thought I would arrive around 12:00pm but I didn’t make here until 2. As described before I dragged a ton of stuff through the RER and the metro, looking like a fool… but I did it without too much trouble… until I emerged from the subway and needed to hail a cab. I have never hailed a cab before in my life. So why not start in Paris right? I was told by the first driver that “ce n’est pas trop loin” (It’s not far at all!) so I tried to walk, asked a million people for directions (ok 4, but anyone who tries to tell you that Parisians are unfriendly and unhelpful simply has not been lost on the street corner with two bags and a bleeding thumb. Everyone I talked to was very nice and very helpful (even if their directions turned out to be completely wrong) and I finally stood on the same corner where I started, and found the nicest cab driver in the city, who promptly delivered me to Marie’s apartment. And for the record it was way too far to walk with 2 suitcases thank you very much Mr. It’s not that far.

One really cool thing though was that right when I came up from the Metro, and I had no idea where I was, or which way to go or how to hail a cab, was that right down the middle of the busy street I was on, I could see L’tour Effiel through all of the fog and mist. I knew then that I was here, and all of this is real, and I felt very good about having made it this far. I may not have known exactly where to go or what to do… but I knew I was in Paris, right where I have been wanting be since I was about seven years old. That was a very exhilarating feeling.

Marie was not here when I got here, but she left me so many notes and keys and candy that I felt right at home. And my life will be much easier now that I don’t have to drag 2 suitcases all over the world, just a very shiny purse. But I got all settled in, tried to battle with the internet (only to find out from Marie that it is getting fixed tonight) and got all unpacked. Then I took a little nap until Marie came home. She is absolutely wonderful. She is young and pretty and nice, and very excited to have me here. She is going to help me find a cell phone tomorrow, and then I am going to go exploring. So anyway, long story short: I made it with only a minor trauma to my thumb, and a tired back.

Marie and I are currently speaking a funny mix of English and French… mostly French unless I don’t understand, but sometimes she can’t help me in English either, so it will be interesting to see how my French improves! I can’t wait. I am feeling good at the moment… tired but hopefully a good night’s sleep tonight will get me on the fast track to being adjusted to the time difference and exploring tomorrow will be good.

I was feeling very emotional this afternoon when I was by myself and feeling very unconnected from the world, but now I am feeling relieved that Marie is so nice and sweet, and that I have a nice bed to sleep in (the pics are of my room) and that I made it here safely. I have talked to everyone in my family except my mom, but I am sure that I will get a hold of her soon. I had a decent journey today… although I realized afterwards that I did a lot of this that you are not supposed to do.

1) I wandered around looking lost and forgotten trying to figure out my life, making me a good target for thieves, but I was lucky.

2) I also had my driver’s license and my passport ad all my money and credit cards in the same place, which was not a good life decision, simply because I was wandering around looking lost and forlorn and I could have lost everything. I should have at least put my passport in my backpack! I feel so stupid! But nothing bad came of it, and I guess now I will be more aware in the future.

3) I would not recommend to anyone to bring two suitcases. Unless someone is coming to collect you directly from the airport… travel lighter than I did! I am sure that I will be glad to have a lot of the things that I brought with me at one point or another, but good lord they almost pushed me down an escalator, made my thumb bleed profusely and made my travels across the city much more tiresome! Once again, I did it without any thing horrible happening, but if I were making recommendations to people for the future, I would not suggest this! Consolidate!

So yeah, the pics are of my room here, and I will post some more as they come. But I am alive and well, and looking forward to the future days of exploring and of IFE starting. So here I go. Bon Courage.

No comments:

Post a Comment